For a scalable web hosting experience, Linux VPS could be the cost-effective, trouble-free solution for your website. While in terms of PCs and laptops, Windows OS has been the leader, for servers, Linux has the upper hand.
Linux VPS hosting platforms ensure quick response to the traffic fluctuations on the website by server scaling. Web hosting is scalable only if it has the capacity to efficiently and practically adapt to high-amplitude events like large input data set or growing number of users.
Why is Linux VPS more advantageous than Windows?
- Superior server and website security! Servers affected by viruses are a nightmare. With Windows VPS hosting, you will need quite a number of security software tools to protect the website and the VPS. These issues do not exist in the Linux environment. Linux has shown resilience to both malware and viruses. Being an open resource and having a strong architecture protects Linux from security problems.
- Save money with Linux VPS! A number of VPS software tools need to be installed on the server for website hosting and management. With Windows OS, software requires licensing. Linux being an open source does not depend on licenses, which significantly reduces VPS costs.
- Most websites are linked to databases like PostgreSQL or MySQL. If this is your case, Linux makes a better option because it provides extensive database support. Linux VPS hosting enables good communication between websites and databases, and supports optimization.
- Compatibility with web technologies. Besides MySQL and other databases, Linux supports advanced web design technologies like Apache, PHP and the like. In a Linux environment, the web developer has the flexibility to use the contents in the database and serve it directly to the website. WordPress websites depend on this functionality principle.
- System Resources. Over reliance on server resources may sometimes put you at risk, because lower VPS performance could occur. However, the Linux operating system enables the optimization of all applications and VPS. Thus, thanks to customized management your Virtual Private Server can work more efficiently and using fewer resources.
- Included web software further tips the scales in favor of Linux. Web softwares like Joomla, Drupal or WordPress comes along free with Linux OS.
All of the above gives Linux VPS a clear advantage over Windows VPS hosting, not to mention that it includes a whole range of favorite blogging tools.
Scaling methods with Linux VPS
The methods of adding more resources to a Linux VPS include vertical and horizontal scaling.
Vertical Scaling or scaling up is when new resources are added to the VPS: such as CPU or memory. Thanks to advanced VPS scaling, the website has the capacity to run applications more efficiently and perform at higher speeds in intense traffic conditions for example. Adding hardware will increase the website stability and prevent application crashes.
Horizontal Scaling or scaling out represents the addition of nodes to the system like several Linux VPS systems working together in a cluster.
Without getting into the technicalities of Linux VPS scaling, the average website owner like you and me, can see the point of using Linux platform for hosting, particularly when faced with the encouraging reality of traffic increase. And the facts do show that Linux VPS supports scaling with incredible efficiency.